Friday, February 1, 2013

What To Wear ~Family Photos

Hi, my name is g, from g shopping bag.

I'm a Utah girl who fell in love with art and fashion at a young age. I love following and setting new trends. When I'm not working as an artist, I am at home with my three little monkies or shopping.

I am so excited to be guest blogging today. I love Just Plane Cute! I will be popping in every Friday to share some fun fashion tips, tricks and trends. 


Family Photos.

I don't know about you, but I hate taking family photos! Ironically, one of the biggest stresses for me is finding something for everyone to wear. However, what you wear can really make a difference in your photos.

I have had a few people ask me, 'how do you decide what to wear in your family photos?' 

So, here are a few tips to go by...


~Coordinate Don't Match~
This is a big one with me. Do not all wear the same color of shirt or don't put the whole family in denim levis and white shirts. Coordinate. If you have a color you really love use it as a main color in one person's outfit and then use it as a 'pop' of color in another outfit. 

~Layer~
Layers can also make a big difference in your photos. Add in that blazer for your husband. Add a vest for your son. Layer with undershirts, tights for your girls and accessories.

~Accessorize~ 
This is a great way to bring that 'wow' factor to your family photo and it doesn't cost much to add in that awesome watch, ring, scarf, belt or hat. 

~Patterns~
Don't be afraid of patterns. You do not want everyone in a solid color. Do a solid men's dress shirt, but then add a patterned vest with a basic blazer.

I personally love jewel tones. I think they show up great in photos and I wish I had used them more often in my past photos. 

Let me show you some examples...

Jett, I was so thrilled when I found his tan boots with orange laces. Adorable right? They are his 'pop' in the photo. His suspenders were actually too small, but I couldn't live without them, so I safety pinned them to the back of his pants. Sshhhh don't tell anyone. :) The stripes in his shirt are just enough pattern, but not too busy against the rest of the family.
I'm not crazy with what I had B {aka my hubby} wear. I wish I would have layered even more then just his orange t-shirt underneath. I do love the pattern on the cuff of his sleeves and the detail in the pockets on his shirt. His tie is missing though... 
I love what I found for JD. Notice his 'pop'? The orange watch?! I found it at Rue 21 for $8.99 and yes I seriously just bought it for our family photos, but doesn't it make such a difference? I love it!
I actually started with a solid color shirt on Evie, but it just didn't seem to look right. I guess I should take my own advice :) The flower patterned shirt is perfect! She absolutely hated her overall denim skirt. I loved it! I had to bribe her to wear it at least for the photos and then promised her she would never have to wear it again. Good thing I found it at a thrift store for only $4. Her 'belt' is actually white and pink ribbon I had in my scraps, it worked perfectly to break up the dark denim.
The whole family together... I will be honest, I was a little nervous when I had in my head the color orange, but I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I went for it. I'm so glad I did! The photos look amazing and I love how bright they are.
~The story on my tie~ 
The day of our photos I just wasn't feeling my outfit, so I changed my shirt to the one above, but it seemed off to me and B. He originally was suppose to wear the tie, but believe it or not HE suggested I try wearing his tie. I was all over it of course, just that little different touch you wouldn't expect. It worked perfectly, but I'm afraid I took away from what he was wearing. Other then that I thought the whole family looked great.

Be yourself, have fun, try not to stress and wear something that expresses your style and personality. 

Let's finish with a Reality Check!
One of the last photos we took, Jett pulling Evie's hair. He was ready to go home.
LOL!




Pin It

1 comment: