Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cake Pops Tutorial

Let us navigate you through our first experience in cake pop making.
GPS and Autopilot on, 
now let's go!
 This was my very first attempt at making cake pops...ever.
I was nervous and intimidated.  Everyone's always look so smooth and perfect.
Recently I purchased a cake pop kit
filled with all the tools to make and decorate them.
Inside was this very cool little cake pop pan,
really when making them 2 would be very handy to speed
the process up, but every batch turned out perfect in the pan.
 I scoured the internet reading cake pop tutorials,
then pieced together the method that sounded the best to me.
I used a regular cake mix which called for 1/2 C oil and 3 eggs,
I cut the oil to 1/3 C and used 4 eggs.
This to make a firmer cake ball, less sliding off your stick
when dipping.  Believe me you want this, if you cake 
is not dense enough it will slide right off.
 1 Cup water
1/3 C oil
4 eggs
 Grease and flour your pan, both sides.
Don't skip this step.
Ignore my batter color.
I read you want a color contrasting to your chocolate color,
so when you bite in you can see the contrast.
I had bought a white cake mix and had pink chocolates,
in hind site I should have kept it white,
but thought I could make purple with blue and red.
Wrong.
It is more raspberry, but oh well, next time.
On to the steps, 
fill your pan all the way up, do not fill partially.  
You want it filled to the top
to expand and fill in the top too.
 I used Wilton chocolate wafers,
add shortening to keep your chocolate thin.
Depending of how much chocolate you use will depend on
how much shortening.
You really want your chocolate thin.
Bake for 8 minutes.
That's it.
Then let your cakes cool completely
they will pop right out.
Cut the orb type ring around the center off with a knife.
You will want a smooth surface.
{Ignore the ugly nail polish, I have been painting my bedroom}
 This tip seemed to work very well,
poke the cake ball with your stick, then dip the stick into
your chocolate, then insert back in.
This keeps your stick in.
It really did help.  I am glad I read that one somewhere.
Next dip into your chocolate and decorate.
{my tips to follow}
 I think they turned out pretty good for my very first attempt.
It can only get better, right?
 Have you made your chalkboard platter yet?
In case you missed it find it here.
 They were moist, delicious and I LOVE the crunch from nonperils
 {you know the ball sprinkles as I call them}
Changing the recipe some did not make them any less moist.


I don't think I will ever complain about paying whatever the asking price is
for a cake pop again.   There is a lot of work that goes into those tiny
2 bite babies.  But once you are able to get the flow down it can go pretty smoothly, and
1 cake box will make around 60 pops!
That is pretty dang cheap for each pop, so it's worth the effort.
Plus the color combinations are endless, you can coordinate them for the event you are making them for.

Now I feel like the second time around I'll have even more tips
when making them.

Here are my tips:

*I will have my chocolate thinner next time.
Really you want a thin, smooth texture.
Not too thin to not coat, but not too heavy either.

*It was just a test run so I didn't use all my chocolates,
next time I will use them all, or melt in a deeper
container.  You want to dunk and pull right out.
The more you swirl and twirl the more the pop falls off.

*I tried 2 different sizes of sticks,
the fatter sticks worked out so much better.
The pop held on much better.

*I will try to have 2 pans.
Especially having to grease them, that step takes a few,
so having 2 pans would have been much faster.

*last tip:
Have a cute Co-pilot to help lick the
batter and choose sprinkles for you.

These will be ready for your First Class dessert,
Your Captain Ashley.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm maKing cake pops tonight and your tips are super helpful! My daughter got a cake pop maker from Santa this yr so we finally putting it to use. Hope they turn out well ♥
    Linziscarsella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete